Prepare some cereal (or beer) and have a nice read about Underovsky.
Underovsky is a one-man design & development studio based in Poland. My name is Krzysztof Rusnarczyk, I design interfaces, develop front-end for web applications and advise companies how to improve user experience. My aim is to create simple, functional and detailed products.
Underovsky is mainly focused on cooperation in sector of new technologies, start-up's and innovative solutions. I also often work with software houses and interactive agencies.
You already know how I work, but who am I? I'm in one's twetnies graphic designer, developer and graduate of AGH University Of Science and Technology in Cracow. I currently live and work in Cracow.
And cherry on top: I accept conferences invitations and then do not appear due to lack of time.
Underovsky history dates back to 2008 when I started creating short movies and edits. Back then I worked under no brand and most of the time I spent on learning movie montage and motion design. After a while I also became interested in graphic design.
Underovsky officialy started in 2010. It was the time when the name has been established and I clarified the vision and future goals. On August 27, 2010 underovsky.com domain has been purchased and it's the official date of brand brith. The first version of website, with only a few (and probably weak) works, was released around the end of November.
In July 2011, richer in experience in the industry, with tens of projects and many significant opinions I decided to create new website and refresh a little the brand look (
Underovsky redesign). The site was released in August and it was really close to be a professional portfolio. I had the opportunity to work on many interesting projects and established contact with a lot of cool people. In the same time the business was increasingly moving away from movie production.
In November 2012 I realised that my current portfolio and CI doesn't reflect my vision and style. I started working on new Underovsky image, you can read about it in next section.
Current Underovsky (
Underovsky 3.0) is in the exact form I wanted it to be. Simple, minimalistic and elegant and I hope it will stay like this for years.
The idea of creating new website and corporate identity didn't bear suddenly, it rather grew gradually. Still the final decision was taken on the spur of the moment.
From the very beginning I wanted to keep everything organized in order to minimize the amount of mistakes and errors. I was kind of like the client to myself. That's why I chose to use MoSCoW technique to prioritize requirements. Then I based documentation on it and created tasks list.
Number of tasks was huge. I'm not even able to mention all of them here. There were some laborious tasks, like online profiles unification and some pleasant ones — creating logo sketches and interface design. I will try to focus on the most important things that had to be made:
Underovsky in progresswebsite, which kept everybody informed on the state of work on Underovsky 3.0 (see how it looked like),
Whole work took 5 months, it lenghtened by things of business and academic matter (BSc). I'm not able to give you the date of commencement of the work, but the website has been launched on April 10, 2013.
Underovsky in progress
As I mentioned earlier
in progress main purpose was to keep people informed on the state of work, but I also used it in another way. I decided to activate my friends in order to help me with decision-making. As a reward I offered free (and very long)
ad on new website.
This way every person, who suggested me good advice, tip or idea was granted with space in Thanks section.
Summing up I wrote 34 news on
I started work with creating corporate colours and choosing typography. It was necessary for
in progress website, as I wanted it to show the way Underovsky 3.0 is going.
Next step was logo sketching. I created many of sketches, but I couldn't choose the best one. That's why I decided to create only typographic logo in two versions — regular one and alternative with
U letter only. All glyphs have been created from scratch.
After creating stationery and business card CI was ready. Whole document enclosed in slightly more than 30 pages.
When it comes to the interface it was relatively easy to design it as I already knew what I wanted. Firstly I sketched it and then refined elements position and interaction. I also considered smaller screen resolutions (yes, I didn't design mobile-first). The creation of graphic interface took me only 4 days.
The final step was of course implementation and it was the hardest and most annoying part of project, so I won't be describing it. ;) I'll only write that development took me long time mainly because of CMS, which I've made myself. Still, I'm really glad of the results and I venture to say that 2 or 3 additional months of work on CMS and I would probably make it available on open source license.